Dear Titan Community,
District 20’s Choice Enrollment Program opened today and goes through February 24th, 2017. Nearly every year, we have some TCA families that choose to leave TCA to attend another D20 school. These decisions are often very difficult, but TCA is fully supportive of “partnering with parents in the education of their children” – even if that means leaving TCA. What is even more difficult, though, are the families that leave TCA and, subsequently, have a change a heart and would like to return. Based on our current waitlists and the student’s grade level, it is often impossible to return to TCA once a student has withdrawn. With that in mind, I’d like to remind you of several key points and aspects of the D20 Choice window.
- During this window, students may apply to attend any district school, beginning the following fall semester.
- Students may apply whether they reside inside D20's boundaries or not.
- If the student is accepted in his/her selected school of choice he/she must attend that school the following school year beginning in August.
- If a student wants to move out of the choice school, a new application will have to be completed during the next available choice application window; or, in TCA’s case, a new TCA enrollment application must be submitted.
- TCA is not a choice school – i.e. other D20 students cannot “choice” into TCA; however, any TCA student is allowed to participate and leave TCA, if desired.
As the Choice Enrollment Program is a D20 program which TCA must comply with, I want to clarify how this applies to us. In short: if you complete the choice application and you receive your choice school, you have withdrawn from TCA. The TCA Registrar Office will be notified by D20 of all students who receive their choice school and those students will be automatically withdrawn from TCA for the following school year. Should you and/or your student change your mind and wish to remain at TCA, you will have to reapply to TCA and go back on the waitlist.
In closing, I must emphasize to please consider very carefully what is best for your student and your family. We are here to help in any way possible, but please know this process is very different than, for example, applying to college, whereby a student applies to an institution and then decides upon acceptance whether he/she wishes to attend. In the D20 Choice Enrollment Program, if you fill out the application and get accepted, you will be withdrawn from TCA and must attend your choice school. If we can be of any assistance or you have any questions, please contact the TCA Registrar Office at TCARegistrar@asd20.org or (719) 488-6229.
TCA Director of Operations