Explore TCA Navigation Bar
The Mission of TCA:
The Classical Academy exists to assist parents in their mission to develop exemplary citizens equipped with analytical thinking skills, virtuous character, and a passion for learning, all built upon a solid foundation of knowledge.
A word from the TCA President:
TCA has always been guided by a very clear vision that is now reflected in our Core Values and Beliefs, starting with our Mission Statement, which begins with the words, “The Classical Academy Exists to assist parents in their mission...” Our Core Values document was authored by a joint Board/Administration Committee that included Jim Kretchman and Chris Bender (representing our founding families and Board), along with other key TCA school leaders. That document was approved by our Board of Directors in 2010, and as your President, I consider it both a privilege and an obligation to help preserve our Core Values.
We recognize that the passage of time has the potential to erode the original intent of our founders’ desires for our school, yet we remain committed to their early convictions as we revisit and refocus on our Core Values every year. This has never been more timely and important, as we prepare to celebrate TCA’s 25th (Silver) Anniversary with a deliberate and intentional campaign called REMEMBERING OUR ROOTS. To help remind us of those roots, our Board of Directors and Cabinet conducted a Board Working Session, facilitated by Jim and Mary Kretchman in December 2021. The Kretchmans utilized this time to discuss various aspects of the school's founding vision, with an emphasis on what the founders intended by the words “Assist Parents.”
As we move forward into our 2022-2023 Silver Anniversary school year, I’m thankful that the Kretchmans helped us recall our foundational spirit, and I’ve included several important comments that Jim and Mary passed along during their December presentation to our leadership team and community. Please join me in pausing to reflect on just a few of these important messages supplied to us by the Kretchmans. We’re grateful for their continued commitment to our amazing school.
We are TITANS!
Dr. Russ Sojourner
Jim and Mary Kretchman quotes from TCA Board Working Session | 12.06.2021
- "After our first draft of the mission statement, it began with 'The mission of TCA is to develop exemplary citizens…' But we knew something important was still missing. It was a concept that all the founders of TCA were really, really passionate about. It had to do with the word 'Parents.' Where do they fit into this statement?"
- "When we wrote 'TCA exists to assist parents in THEIR mission…' we were not having a conversation about governance, or about policy, procedures, or day to day operations. Instead, we were having a conversation about our hopes regarding TCA culture. The dream was that we would be a school that would refrain from undermining parents and their values in the domain of the home—that is not typical of public schools. That is what we meant by the culture we were seeking; there is a mood, a tone, an attitude about wanting to respect and honor the weighty role of being a child’s parent."
- "Fortunately, one way that we are blessed is that a large number of TCA teachers are also TCA parents. So, the very people in the classroom have a lot of the same concerns about raising kids in this world."
- "TCA teachers do more than teach. One of our pillars is virtuous character. We recognize that the faculty and staff are actually SHAPING our kids."
- "Sometimes, I have heard a problematic question: 'Isn’t TCA a ‘parent-run school?' Now we have clearly shifted the conversation into the realm of governance. I regret that the 'assist parents' clause seems to invite this confusion. The Board of Directors actually oversees the running of TCA, dictated by state laws. At TCA, however, parents elect the Board. I think that it is wonderful that we have our own elected Board focused exclusively on this school."
- "I look at this school, the heart behind how it was founded and what the founders cared about… and that idea has persisted for 25 years. Not many public schools can say, 'THIS is what we are about. THIS is what you can hold us accountable for. THIS is how we define success (by the words written in our Core Values document).'"
- "Numerous times over the years, I have had a preschool parent say to me, 'If I can’t get into TCA, I am going to homeschool.' That’s a powerful testament to the trust our community has in board, our administration, our staff, and our teachers – because in their eyes, there is no other school like TCA."